It is okay if your first question is who is Impact FC UWS. Today, January 24, is their 18th day birthday.
Impact FC is a women’s soccer team born of the St. Albert Soccer Association (SASA). UWS stands for United Women’s Soccer which is the league they play in. The UWS was founded in 2015 with 11 teams and now has over 50.
For those unfamiliar, a starting lineup in soccer has 11 players. The tally for the inaugural roster of the Impact now sits at 10. Let’s take a closer look.
Per the Impact roster page, the Club has 5 forwards.
- Tanya Boychuk, Olivia Chu and Sheena Tracey are from Edmonton while Brittany Kindzierski is from St. Alberta and Heather Lund is from Red Deer.
- The group consists of not one but three former team captains: Boychuk (U of Memphis and Canada U20), Kindzierski (U of Texas and El Paso), Tracey (MacEwan University)
- The U of A Panda’s all-time goal scoring in leading in Lund
- The Club’s three midfielders consist of two Edmontonians in Laura Kautz and Erika Vecchio with Bryana Buttar hailing from Abbortsford, BC.
- Four of Edmonton’s post secondary schools are represented, Kautz with the U of A and NAIT, Vecchio with MacEwan (team captain) and Concordia.
- Buttar was named Canada West Rookie of the Year and named to the Canada West All Rookie Team
The sole defender currently listed on the roster is Kayla Evans. Hailing from Sherwood Park, Evans comes in as the third team member that spent time at MacEwan University. A Canada West All Star and MacEwan Soccer MVP, Evans will look to defend the pitch at the Club’s home park, Riel Recreation Park.
Kelti Biggs is the first goalkeeper to be announced. One of six players on the team born in Edmonton. Biggs built upon her Canada West Rookie of the Year and became the Canada West all time leader in shutouts.
A 2020 schedule is yet to be posted. The “next game in” feature on the Impact’s roster page suggests an end of May, beginning of June start to the season. If and when the pandemic allows play to happen, Edmonton and surrounding area…
Brace for Impact FC UWS.